CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper Chitral and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral in different intervals. The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief headings from newslets regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- Pakistan says working with India to fight the locust menace Pakistani and Indian authorities are working together to combat the worst invasion of desert locusts in decades in the region, which is threatening crops in both countries, Pakistan's foreign office has said.… Read Further >>
- ‘Masked tourism’: An oxymoron being planned by the government CHITRAL: As per the intentions being expressed by the Prime Minister of course on the advise of his advisors, tourism is likely to be revived in the country, particularly the Northern areas.… Read Further >>
- Of Moghol Baz the Monster Hunter .. by Fateh-ul-Mulk Ali Nasir Booni, Chitral Chitral is a land where history lives on. People talk of calamities and misfortune from centuries ago as if it were a great personal loss. This… Read Further >>
- Easy way of offering obligatory Prayers; Incentive to the lazy ones CHITRAL: A young and popular theologian and religious scholar of the time Engineer Muhammad Ali Mirza has come up with an incentive for those Muslims who want to offer prayers but are… Read Further >>
- Bashgal and the Kalasha under Katoor Rule .. By Fateh-Ul-Mulk Ali Nasiir Two Elderly Bashgali Warriors who had taken refuge in Chitral following the Afghan conquest-photo provided by the author Bashgal and the Kalasha under Katoor Rule The history… Read Further >>
- Rapid rate of conversions threaten Kalash faith CHITRAL: The threat has always been looming like the proverbial 'Sword of Damocles' on the head of the Kalash faith, due to their being in extreme minority and poverty. Of late however,… Read Further >>
- Alexander and the forgotten battle of Chitral .. by Muhammad Huzaifa The story of a Macedonian conqueror’s wayward expedition to conquer the known world was given a sort of rebirth when the British conquered the Indus region. The British, who… Read Further >>
- Fungal disease damages wheat crop in Chitral CHITRAL: The wheat crop in lower parts of Chitral has been hit by fungal disease wherein the leaves turn orange-yellowish in the first stage and then withered away, while the infected area… Read Further >>
- 12 ways to cope with coronavirus anxiety, according to psychologists ..by: Anna Medaris Miller Maskot/Getty Images The novel coronavirus continues to batter cities and overload hospitals across the US, causing residents to experience anxiety over the unknown, the health of their loved ones,… Read Further >>
- Eid celebrated in Chitral flouting all precautionary instructions CHITRAL: Eid was celebrated along the Chitral valley in the two districts in a usual manner with complete disregard to the precautionary instructions and government SOPS regarding the Coronavirus threat. Large congregations… Read Further >>
- If Ramazan has not, Corona can not teach us any lesson either CHITRAL: Every year Muslims observe a month of fastening. This is an ultimate exercise in discipline and forbearance, which the muslims undertake religiously in the literal sense of the word. Restraining from… Read Further >>
- “Verily we belong to God, and verily to Him do we return.”- Al Quran CHITRAL: All eyes are gloomy and hearts sorrowful on the tragic accident of he PIA flight in Karachi. Loss of lives is always a sorrowful happening. In this case the passengers were… Read Further >>
- Scientists believe cannabis could help treat coronavirus A team of Canadian scientists believes it has found strong strains of cannabis that could help prevent and then treat coronavirus infections, according to interviews and a study. Researchers from the University… Read Further >>
- Chinese believe new drug can stop pandemic ‘without vaccine’ The new drug is being tested by scientists at China's Peking University. — AFP/File A Chinese laboratory has been developing a drug it believes has the power to bring the coronavirus pandemic… Read Further >>
- Now ‘Yes’ now ‘No’: WHO says spraying disinfectants is harmful by AFP : WHO has said that streets and pavements are not considered as "reservoirs of infection" of COVID-19 Spraying disinfectant on the streets, as practised in some countries, does not eliminate… Read Further >>
- Chitralis rejoice opening of public transport announcement CHITRAL: After the Coronavirus lockdown there has been a general gloom everywhere in the country including Chitral. A gradual easing of the lockdown though became a comforting breather but yet the crisis… Read Further >>