CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief news regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- ہم چترالی بھی عجیب لوگ ہیں اخبار میں ایک سیاسی رہنما کا بیان پڑھ کر یہ چند سطور لکھنے پر مجبور ہوا. بیان کچھ یوں تھا "ریشن بازار سے سیلابی ملبہ ہٹا کر عوام کو مشکلات سے نجات… Read Further >>
- Clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine to begin in Pakistan this week Renowned scientist and Chairman of Prime Minister’s Taskforce on Science and Technology, Dr Atta-ur-Rahman said on Sunday that the clinical trials of the proposed COVID-19 vaccine produced by a well-acclaimed international company… Read Further >>
- The billionaire who wanted to die broke .. Is now officially broke DAVID CANTWELL FOR FORBES Steven Bertoni Forbes Staff Forbes VP & Senior Editor: Forbes CEO Network, Tech, Investing It took decades, but Chuck Feeney, the former billionaire cofounder of retail giant Duty… Read Further >>
- ‘G-B to be made province soon’ .. Shabbir Hussain ISLAMABAD: The government has decided to elevate Gilgit-Baltistan (G-B) to the status of a full-fledged province with all constitutional rights, including its representation in the Senate and the National… Read Further >>
- Pakistan to witness record-breaking prolonged winter season .. by Haroon Hayder Weather Updates PK, a real-time weather update portal, has predicted a record-breaking prolonged winter season in Pakistan due to La-Nina and other meteorological factors. La-Nina is a complex… Read Further >>
- Hospitality or Hypocrisy: Another aspect of our culture CHITRAL: Among many positive aspects of Chitrali culture, one is that we like guests and are always in a welcome mode for them. Even in hotels, clients are called guests by default… Read Further >>
- Tourists throng Swat and Northern areas excluding Chitral CHITRAL: After the easing of COVID-19 restrictions, people who had been restricted to their houses have started to go out for recreational spots and areas with a zeal almost like vengeance. The… Read Further >>
- Sau-Malik of Gilgit and Chitral and the Mongol War .. by Muhammad Huzaifa Nizam More often than not hidden in the annals of history are instances of smaller nations and kingdoms putting up resistance against vast invading armies. This quality is… Read Further >>
- Reshun steel bridge: Important lesson can be learnt for Chitral [caption id="attachment_20988" align="alignleft" width="255"] Newly built Reshun Steel bridge[/caption] CHITRAL: Only few days after the RCC bridge at Reshun was washed away by a torrential flood, a new steel bridge has been… Read Further >>
- Sudan’s government agrees to separate religion and state .. by Michael Atit FILE - Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, left, and The Sudan Liberation Movement-North leader, Abdel-Aziz Adam al-Hilu, hold up their hands in the conflict-affected remote town of Kauda,… Read Further >>
- CM hands over compensation cheques to flood affectees in Chitral .. by Zahiruddin CHITRAL: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Mahmood Khan visited the flood-hit villages in Reshun area of Upper Chitral district and Golen valley in Lower Chitral district and distributed compensation cheques… Read Further >>
- Has Chitral become a ‘banana republic’? [caption id="attachment_20972" align="alignleft" width="377"] Pushcart banana vendor in Chitral bazar[/caption] CHITRAL: Not in the proverbial sense of being a 'banana republic', but virtually a district full of bananas for sale. The fruit… Read Further >>
- Landmark decision: Govt allows use of hemp for medicinal purposes. CHITRAL: In a landmark decision the government has issued licenses for the use of hemp to the Ministry of Science and technology and PCSIR, for medicinal and industrial purposes. This news has… Read Further >>
- Chitral concluding a mosquito free summer CHITRAL: With the advent of September along with widespread rains in the districts, Chitral is seeing off summers with a difference this year. The summer in Chitral has almost been a mosquito… Read Further >>
- Building demolished in Kalash valley to preserve cultural sanctity CHITRAL: The district administration on Monday razed a newly-constructed building of a multi-storey hotel in Krakal village of Bumburate valley as part of its drive against illegal and unapproved buildings. Lower Chitral… Read Further >>
- A sad reflection of a non Muslim on the ‘Teachings of Islam’ vs ‘Practices followed by Muslims’ While in London, I went to visit, one of the exhibition entitled: "Introduction to Islam". This exhibition was attended by a Da'ee, who was already living there. He told us the following… Read Further >>
- Three large passenger planes with tourists land at Skardu simultaneously [caption id="attachment_20947" align="alignleft" width="539"] Skardu Airport[/caption] CHITRAL: Three Airbus passenger planes laden with tourists have landed at Skardu airport as a first time. The government's boost to tourism coupled with the PIA… Read Further >>
- Kalash want consent of parents for their girls to marry Muslims CHITRAL: The Kalash community wants a law/agreement between the two communities that makes it mandatory for a Kalash girl to get the consent of her parents before she decides to marry a… Read Further >>