CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs Brief news about chitral This page lists brief news regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- Replace Urdu with Arabic We as Muslims pray five times a day in Arabic, recite the Holy Quran, celebrate our births, weddings and all important occasions even observe death rites in the Arabic language, but unfortunately… Read Further >>
- A powerhouse going waste The Chitral town hydel power house was constructed in 1975 as a result of efforts of the then MNA Ataliq Jafar Ali Shah. It began operations with a rated output of one… Read Further >>
- Segregation of Morality from Religion Degradation of moral values in our society is a favourite topic of daily conversation these days. Every thinking soul seems to lament the state of our collective moral fiber. Being honest, truthful,… Read Further >>
- Our Top rulers should be bachelors I wish to share an idea with your readers -something which lurks in my mind. If we want to check corruption in this country I think we should have bachelors on the… Read Further >>
- Research needed to solve world crises With the passage of time, the standard of every thing slowly but steadily is eroding; from human values, human needs, human relations and education etc, all things even love is becoming artificial… Read Further >>
- Local Govts through ‘Meritocracy’ The prime minister has announced that Local Govts would be dissolved and bureaucrats would be appointed as administrators. The decision is a perfect example of the hypocrisy of the form of democracy… Read Further >>
- ‘A paradigm shift required’ The prime minister has announced that Local Govts would be dissolved and bureaucrats would be appointed as administrators. The decision is a perfect example of the hypocrisy of the form of democracy… Read Further >>
- Here comes another Aid package! The 'Kerry Lugar bill' presented in US senate pledges more in aid to an ever wanting Pakistan. The better part of this one, making it different from earlier aid packages, is not… Read Further >>
- How did we arrive here? Pakistan today is in the middle of a quagmire and finding no way out of it. How have we arrived here?, is the question every one is asking. The pathetic story of… Read Further >>
- Solvable Electricity problem needs attention Despite having a capacity to generate 4000 megawatts of hydro electricity, Chitral is plagued with an acute shortage of the commodity. At present the total electricity generation in the district including the… Read Further >>
- Proposed new Office timings I have a suggestion to amend the present office timings in the country. I suggest office timings in all government departments should be from one hour after fajr Azan (dawn prayer call)… Read Further >>
- Austerity measures, need of the hour Pakistan is sinking more and more into the fiscal deficit quagmire. Our expenses far exceed our income and there seems to be no viable economic program with the government to allay this… Read Further >>
- Proposal for prioritization in the Islamic teachings recommended curriculum I have neither the qualities of religious scholars nor hold any command on Islamic knowledge like a Maulana, even I am not from such high caliber English writers who express events clearly,… Read Further >>
- Teaching Islamic management sciences in Madaris I am not an Islamic scholar, just a simple Muslim with little knowledge and poor English . First of all I respect my friend's idea to introduce commercial education in the Deeni… Read Further >>
- A good augury for Chitral It was a pleasant surprise for all in Chitral to hear that a delegation of local political leaders including the district Nazim, the MNA, the tehsil Nazim and available leaders from all… Read Further >>
- Improvement of Education system Pakistani Nation is going through very difficult times in it's chequered history. Pak army is at war with militant Taliban in the north west of the country. It is believed that there… Read Further >>
- Abolition of death penalty The recent decision of the Federal cabinet to commute all death sentences hitherto awarded by competent courts has come as a shock to the nation. Death penalty is a part of Pakistan's… Read Further >>
- Improved education opportunities for all I strongly feel that education opportunities should be available equally to all the children and youth of the country. For that I have two proposals. Firstly, like proposed earlier by another writer,… Read Further >>
- Tampering with the clock Once again the government is attempting to advance the clock in the name of daylight saving. The experiment has already been carried out twice in the past by earlier governments, only to… Read Further >>
- Root cause of our problems Currently, Pakistan is at the cross-road of its history. Beset with numerous crises of huge proportions the country seems to be bogged down in a quagmire. The leadership is on a catch-22… Read Further >>