CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief news regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- Divisional Commissioner makes challenging promises to Chitralis CHITRAL: The Divisional Commissioner Malakand Division Riaz Khan Mehsud during his extensive official stay in Chitral has kindled hope in the hearts of the Corona beaten Chitralis, by making optimistic but rather… Read Further >>
- What they don’t tell you about surviving COVID-19 .. by Mike Moffitt Photo: SerhiiHudak/Barcroft Media Via Getty Images A chest X-ray of a COVID-19 patient shows "consolidation," a radiological term refering to dense opacities obscuring lung vessels and bronchial walls.… Read Further >>
- Coronavirus ‘now a wild cat not tiger’ and might peter out without vaccine Professor Matteo Bassetti, an infectious disease expert at the Policlinico San Martino hospital in Italy, says Covid-19 is becoming less deadly as it spreads and could die out before a vaccine is… Read Further >>
- GLOF issues Golen Gol Glacial outburst warning [caption id="attachment_20633" align="alignleft" width="258"] A GLOF threat-internet pic[/caption] CHITRAL: The UNDP funded project GLOF (glacial lake outburst floods) which monitors glacial behaviour has issued warning for an impending glacial outburst in the… Read Further >>
- Chitral districts hit new highs in Covid-19 cases CHITRAL: With 7 new positive cases of the Covid-19 virus in both upper and Lower Chitral each in one day, the total cases have risen to 63 in upper Chitral and 90… Read Further >>
- Unique Tales from the Shandur Pass .. by Fateh-Ul-Mulk Ali Nasir Shandur Lake Unique Tales from the Shandur Pass The Shandur Pass is the junction of the Khowar speaking world. On one side lies Chitral, the heartland of the Kho people and on… Read Further >>
- Here’s how humans are trying to live forever .. by Andrea Schmitz and Benji Jones Death has no cure, but thanks to breakthroughs in medicine and robotics we're closer than ever to finding one. Studies have shown that new drugs like rapamycin can increase the lifespan… Read Further >>
- Hope again: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug in Coronavirus By Michelle RobertsHealth editor, BBC News online A cheap and widely available drug can help save the lives of patients seriously ill with coronavirus. The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major… Read Further >>
- Govt needs to adopt a new sensible policy for payment of pensions CHITRAL: The recent budget shows that a huge amount of Rs 421 billion has been allocated for payment of pensions to government employees for the year. This amount keeps snowballing every year.… Read Further >>
- OIl price reduction has not reduced commodity prices, when it is raised slightly, prices will instantly jump up CHITRAL: There has been substantial decrease in petroleum price in Pakistan in line with the world wide oil price tumble. The reduction in price of petroleum and related products in Pakistan has… Read Further >>
- Golain Water supply scheme rehabilitation work inaugurated after one year CHITRAL: Golen Gol Water Supply Scheme which was destroyed due to a GLOF event on July 8, 2019 and after that 40,000 people of Chitral Town were deprived from clean drinking water.… Read Further >>
- Volunteers in Chitral play a key role in disseminating virus awareness A volunteer educates the villagers in Bumburate valley about coronavirus threat. — Dawn CHITRAL: Volunteers working under the local support organisations (LSOs) have been playing a key role in creating awareness among… Read Further >>
- Medical benefits of marijuana we don’t know about CHITRAL: Marijuana also known as 'charrs' or 'bong' is a long time local weed of Chitral. The quality grown in the northern parts is known worldwide for it's fineness. It was fondly… Read Further >>
- Chitral District Bars conduct annual elections CHITRAL: Elections to office bearers of both district bars of District Lower Chitral and District upper Chitral were held. As a result Advocate Niaz A Niazi was elected president for lower Chitral… Read Further >>
- Moral corpse of nation stinks during Virus season CHITRAL: Whenever there is a test of our collective moral fiber, we Pakistanis in general, unfortunately fail badly in it. During the ongoing pandemic crisis we come across stories and reports every… Read Further >>
- Proposal for regional harmony by Allama Iqbal’s son- worth a national debate CHITRAL: Our national poet, originator of the Pakistan concept and only second to Quaid e Azam in the list of our national heroes, Dr Sir Allama Iqbal's son, Dr Justice Javaid Iqbal… Read Further >>
- Playing game with power projects in Lotkuh Chitral .. by Islamuddin For the past many years it has consistently been pointed out in these pages that despite some achievements to its credit, AKRSP refuses to change its flawed strategy of… Read Further >>
- ‘Sanna Makki’ herb price jumps ten fold as a touted Covid antidote CHITRAL: The Covid fame herb 'Sanna Makki' has catapulted in popularity and price both, because of it being touted as an anti-dote for the Covid-19 virus. The little known herb originally a… Read Further >>