CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief headings from newslets regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- OIl price reduction has not reduced commodity prices, when it is raised slightly, prices will instantly jump up CHITRAL: There has been substantial decrease in petroleum price in Pakistan in line with the world wide oil price tumble. The reduction in price of petroleum and related products in Pakistan has… Read Further >>
- Golain Water supply scheme rehabilitation work inaugurated after one year CHITRAL: Golen Gol Water Supply Scheme which was destroyed due to a GLOF event on July 8, 2019 and after that 40,000 people of Chitral Town were deprived from clean drinking water.… Read Further >>
- Volunteers in Chitral play a key role in disseminating virus awareness A volunteer educates the villagers in Bumburate valley about coronavirus threat. — Dawn CHITRAL: Volunteers working under the local support organisations (LSOs) have been playing a key role in creating awareness among… Read Further >>
- Medical benefits of marijuana we don’t know about CHITRAL: Marijuana also known as 'charrs' or 'bong' is a long time local weed of Chitral. The quality grown in the northern parts is known worldwide for it's fineness. It was fondly… Read Further >>
- Chitral District Bars conduct annual elections CHITRAL: Elections to office bearers of both district bars of District Lower Chitral and District upper Chitral were held. As a result Advocate Niaz A Niazi was elected president for lower Chitral… Read Further >>
- Moral corpse of nation stinks during Virus season CHITRAL: Whenever there is a test of our collective moral fiber, we Pakistanis in general, unfortunately fail badly in it. During the ongoing pandemic crisis we come across stories and reports every… Read Further >>
- Proposal for regional harmony by Allama Iqbal’s son- worth a national debate CHITRAL: Our national poet, originator of the Pakistan concept and only second to Quaid e Azam in the list of our national heroes, Dr Sir Allama Iqbal's son, Dr Justice Javaid Iqbal… Read Further >>
- Playing game with power projects in Lotkuh Chitral .. by Islamuddin For the past many years it has consistently been pointed out in these pages that despite some achievements to its credit, AKRSP refuses to change its flawed strategy of… Read Further >>
- ‘Sanna Makki’ herb price jumps ten fold as a touted Covid antidote CHITRAL: The Covid fame herb 'Sanna Makki' has catapulted in popularity and price both, because of it being touted as an anti-dote for the Covid-19 virus. The little known herb originally a… Read Further >>
- Chitralis move to highland pastures to escape Covid-19 .. Zahiruddin A herd of sheep grazes in Upper Chitral. — Dawn CHITRAL: The Covid-19 dread has shifted the village hustle and bustle to the pastures in the highlands in Upper Chitral… Read Further >>
- Pakistan says working with India to fight the locust menace Pakistani and Indian authorities are working together to combat the worst invasion of desert locusts in decades in the region, which is threatening crops in both countries, Pakistan's foreign office has said.… Read Further >>
- ‘Masked tourism’: An oxymoron being planned by the government CHITRAL: As per the intentions being expressed by the Prime Minister of course on the advise of his advisors, tourism is likely to be revived in the country, particularly the Northern areas.… Read Further >>
- Of Moghol Baz the Monster Hunter .. by Fateh-ul-Mulk Ali Nasir Booni, Chitral Chitral is a land where history lives on. People talk of calamities and misfortune from centuries ago as if it were a great personal loss. This… Read Further >>
- Easy way of offering obligatory Prayers; Incentive to the lazy ones CHITRAL: A young and popular theologian and religious scholar of the time Engineer Muhammad Ali Mirza has come up with an incentive for those Muslims who want to offer prayers but are… Read Further >>
- Bashgal and the Kalasha under Katoor Rule .. By Fateh-Ul-Mulk Ali Nasiir Two Elderly Bashgali Warriors who had taken refuge in Chitral following the Afghan conquest-photo provided by the author Bashgal and the Kalasha under Katoor Rule The history… Read Further >>
- Rapid rate of conversions threaten Kalash faith CHITRAL: The threat has always been looming like the proverbial 'Sword of Damocles' on the head of the Kalash faith, due to their being in extreme minority and poverty. Of late however,… Read Further >>