CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief news regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- Disappointed Mastuj people pick up shovels and spades to repair road on self help basis CHITRAL: Hundreds of people of Mastuj Tehsil of Upper Chitral District under the leadership of Prof. Dr. Muhammad Ismail Wali started construction of 30 km road of Mastuj on their self help basis. .… Read Further >>
- Opposition, civil society decry plan to drop key road from CPEC rout BAJAUR: The opposition parties and civil society on Saturday protested against the government’s alleged plan to drop Bajaur, Dir and Chitral districts from the western CPEC route. A large number of workers,… Read Further >>
- Covid restrictions, closure of playgrounds has pushed many youth towards hashish smoking CHITRAL: The past five months have been very challenging for the country. It is only now when the Covid threat is receding that life is returning to normalcy. While the Covid restrictions… Read Further >>
- Glacial flash flood causes death and damage to property in Yarkhun CHITRAL: Flash flood due to glacial burst in Yarkun Lasht area of upper Chitral has caused the death of a young girl and damage to about fifteen houses . The Boroghil road… Read Further >>
- Hotel accident; Many Chitralis display wicked enthusiasm CHITRAL: The unfortunate accident of the parapet of a balcony giving in at the Terichmir View hotel in Chitral which cost three lives and several injuries, is a most unfortunate occurrence. No… Read Further >>
- Tourists visiting Chitral complain of holdups at Lowari tunnel CHITRAL: After the lifting of Coronavirus restrictions, tourists have started moving into Chitral in large numbers as they have to other touristic areas of Northern Pakistan. However some tourists talking to CN… Read Further >>
- Russia approves Covid-19 vaccine, WHO cautions, Putin tries it on daughter, Gold, stocks tumble Russian President Vladimir Putin has said a locally developed vaccine for Covid-19 has been given regulatory approval after less than two months of testing on humans. Mr Putin said the vaccine had… Read Further >>
- Cheating in exams should be punishable by imprisonment CHITRAL: In China, students caught cheating in college entrance exams are awarded seven years imprisonment. In Pakistan cheating in exams is considered a normal practice and even examiners are lenient on it.… Read Further >>
- Only in Pakistan: 108 Mw powerhouse lying dead for want of minor repairs CHITRAL: It can only happen in Pakistan. On one hand we are crying about shortage of electricity while on the other hand a 108 Mw hydel powerhouse located at Golen in Chitral… Read Further >>
- Pakistan shows guts in foreign policy for the first time CHITRAL: Pakistan has for the first time stood up to the OIC 's torturous silence on Indian atrocities in occupied Kashmir. foreign Minister SM Qureshi, while talking to TV reporters said that… Read Further >>
- The ‘Little Boy’ .. by Mir Wazir Khan The world is commemorating 75-years anniversary of 75-years old ‘Little Boy’. In most of the world’s cultures, little boy is a name for someone within the age… Read Further >>
- Bitter Fact: Former bureaucrats who have served in Chitral do not have a high impression of Chitralis CHITRAL: A senior Chitrali personality who himself has been in highest of offices and has close rapport with senior bureaucrats, police officials and other elite administrative officials who have at some time… Read Further >>
- The ritual of animal sacrifice on Eid ul Azha, as practiced in Hunza. CHITRAL: In Hunza, a neighbor landof Chitral, all the people of the village who pledge to sacrifice animals bring them to a central location and a joint Qurbani is held. The meat… Read Further >>
- The world is finally losing its taste for meat .. by Nathaniel Bullard Global consumption of animal proteins has been rising, apparently inexorably, for the past six decades. The coronavirus pandemic has finally changed that trajectory. The Food and Agriculture Organization… Read Further >>
- If animal sacrifice not possible Muslims can donate money to poor on Eid ul Azha, says seminary Hyderabad — Muslims, who can’t sacrifice sheep or cattle on Eid-ul-Azha this time due to the Covid-19 situation, can donate the equivalent amount to the poor, according to a decree issued by a… Read Further >>
- Unscrupulous society, reflected by unscrupulous businessmen CHITRAL: By now there should be no doubt in any body's mind that we in Pakistan generally live in an unscrupulous society, at least in financial matters, where any one who gets… Read Further >>
- Causes of Coronavirus! (urdu) باھر ممالک کے لوگوں کے کچھ کبیرہ گناہ جن کی وجہ سے کرونا وائرس مسلط ہوا ۔ ۱۔ چین کا حرام جانور کھانا۔ ۲۔ انگریزوں کا شراب پینا ۳۔ انگریز عورتوں کا… Read Further >>
- The Last Rites of a Crumbling System .. by Raoof Hasan “Without strong watchdog institutions, impunity becomes the very foundation upon which systems of corruption are built. And if impunity is not demolished, all efforts to bring an end… Read Further >>