CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief headings from newslets regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- Suggestion for a new system of governance in Pakistan Systems of government in practice do not come from heaven; they are man made and thus always are subject to modification and alteration according to the requirements of the time. As democracy… Read Further >>
- President’s statements These days one often comes across statements from the president saying 'Pakistan is not a failed state', 'Terrorists cannot get hold of our nuclear assets' and 'Extremists cannot take over Pakistan' etc.… Read Further >>
- Lowari Tunnel project – A suggestion Lowari Tunnel has become a reality -A dream come true for Chitralis and a milestone in the history of Chitral indeed. NHA and the Sambu construction company vehicles are plying comfortably through… Read Further >>
- Standard syllabus in educational Institutions I suggest that syllabus and text books of all the schools in the country should be the same. The syllabus should be carefully prepared by experts, keeping a balance and should be… Read Further >>
- An unfortunate threat The aggressive statement of a public representative in Chitral against the construction of a building for an educational institution is very unfortunate. The said personality who is also a religious leader was… Read Further >>
- ‘Decrying extremism’ The president of Pakistan has just completed his two days visit to Chitral. The people are indeed grateful to him for taking interest in providing an all weather road to Chitral in… Read Further >>
- Hate mongers damaging harmony The recent acts of sacrilege by a number of western journalists against the sentiments of the Muslims by publishing disrespectful material about the Prophet of Islam (PBUH) is a big blow to… Read Further >>
- ‘Ghost’ pensioners -point to ponder According to news reports, 22000 'ghost' military pensioners have been detected by the National Accountability Bureau, at the Peshawar General Post office alone. The report says that the GPO officials kept on… Read Further >>
- One Flight in 16 days! At the time of writing this editorial report there has been only one flight for Chitral during the last 15 days . It may be noted that the road connection between Chitral… Read Further >>
- A Role for the Chitral Scouts Chitral Scouts is one of the oldest corps of civil armed forces in the country. It has a prestigious past and is looked up to with awe and reverence to date. There… Read Further >>
- Local Govt system – a proposal The system of local Govt introduced in Pakistan is nearing completion of its first term. Even critics and opponents of the system now agree that this is a workable system, much natural… Read Further >>
- Chitralis; Easy prey for Con Men News reports regarding abscondment of the managers of a company called Biznas dot com which had collected membership fees from Chitralis at the rate of Rs 3600 per head making a heist… Read Further >>
- Shandur spirit mauled by VIPsm Every year in July, a three day festival is held at the 12500 ft high Shandur plateau which also boasts to be the highest polo ground in the world. One reason for… Read Further >>
- Nizam -e- Salaat in NWFP According to a decree by the NWFP Govt, collective prayers have been made compulsory for Govt servants, and businesses through out the province have been ordered to close down during prayer timings.… Read Further >>
- Migrating Ducks get a raw deal in Chitral Ducks migrating from the warmer waters of the south to the cooler Siberian plains, at this time of the year pass through Chitral valley. Just when a flock of this unfortunate bird… Read Further >>
- Arabic -‘The Language’ Recently the NWFP Assembly replaced English with Urdu as the official language. The probable reason for this switch over is not as much the love of Urdu as is the inability of… Read Further >>